Removing ECV and charcoal filter - BMW Scrambler Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grim Rider

post #1 of 3 Old 05-29-2017, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Removing ECV and charcoal filter

I decided to remove both the exhaust control valve ('flapper') and the charcoal canister next to the rear shock. Partly to reduce weight, partly because they are both so ugly, but mainly because I don't feel the need to have either on my bike.

Easy enough to remove; I replaced the ECV with a length of stainless pipe the correct diameter I bought off fleabay for 7, and then cut to the correct length. Removing the charcoal canister left the suction output from the engine which I put a spare rubber bung over, an expansion tube from the tank which I extended by joining one of the spare hoses from the canister to it, and the relay which I cable tied under the seat. Looked much cleaner.

Bike ran fine (cannot say felt appreciable difference to power or sound of exhaust), but the engine warning light and the yellow warning triangle in the clock we're on all the time. Went into dealers to see if could reset the ecu to remove these but they did not know - said they would check with BMW but not heard anything back from them.

After riding it round like that for a while I got fed up with the lights being on so refitted the ECV. This removed the triangle light but left the engine warning light on.

Refitted the charcoal canister - if you do take it off worth taking photographs to check where everything goes! Engine warning light was still on for a few days and then went off and has stayed off.

So would seem not a good idea to remove these on the Scrambler (although seems to be no problem on the standard RnineTs?) - unless anyone knows better?

2016 BMW RnineT Scrambler X
2001 BMW R1150GSA
1990 BMW K1
1998 Suzuki DR350S
1977 Honda Camino
1962 AJS 250 CSR
post #2 of 3 Old 05-29-2017, 03:11 PM

Garage
I've heard that the Scrambler has a new CAN bus with more fault checks. I tried LED lights on mine and that did not work.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir.tooby View Post
I've heard that the Scrambler has a new CAN bus with more fault checks. I tried LED lights on mine and that did not work.
Yes, for a simple bike the electrics seem over complicated!

I had a problem when I first fitted a satnav so have wired a Centech fuse box direct to the battery and then wired the GPS and extra led lights to that and all is good although not ignition dependent.
sir.tooby likes this.

2016 BMW RnineT Scrambler X
2001 BMW R1150GSA
1990 BMW K1
1998 Suzuki DR350S
1977 Honda Camino
1962 AJS 250 CSR

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page